On Wednesdays mornings, I volunteer at a non-profit that provides "emotional support, education, and hope" to people dealing with cancer. My group is a social group and I help people learn to knit. On most Wednesdays, we have about 10 - 15 women. Each of these women is a cancer survivor, caregiver, or is currently going through cancer treatment. Each woman is very special. They are an amazing group of very caring women. We just completed our third year. Most of the ladies did not know how to knit before they joined this group. We've had great success. Most of the ladies have learned to knit blankets, sweaters, mittens, socks, felted bags, hats, etc. They each choose what they'd like to knit and, with or without my assistance, they go for it. My goal is that it be fun and stress-free. I'm trying to encourage them to join Ravelry and surf the internet for patterns and ideas. We share recipes, stories , etc. I value these friendships and I'd never have know most of them if it weren't for this group.
The group gave me two wonderful gifts! They gave me an adorable ornament (knitting related, of course) and a very generous gift certificate for a lys (It is one of my very favorite shops.). I was so very touched by their very sweet, thoughtful, and generous gifts. I will choose something very gorgeous at the lys and it will be a wonderful reminder of this wonderful group of friends.
I really love all my knitting groups. I certainly can't forget about my Tuesday evening SnB. It is the best. We have some of the most fun and most talented knitters - of our regulars, Beth, Karen, Angela, Bonnie, and more but they are blogless. This is where I find most of my ideas and inspiration for knitting.
There is also a Thursday afternoon KAL. We meet at Fiber Naturell. Our first project was the Crayon Box Jacket. The group is currently working on Entrelac projects. This group just started this past summer. We're a small, but close-knit group. It seems that this group has followed the other groups and we've all become good friends.
Fiber people are great people!
Here is Alligator II:
I really like the color of this alligator. It is knit with Encore on size 10 needles. We'll see if the little boys who will be receiving these scarves will like their scarves. It is a great pattern and fun to knit.

2 comments:
That ornament could hang from your rear view mirror. ;)
I love the color of the alligator. That's the best yet.
Love the ornament!! What thoughtful people. The alligator turned out great. I am still working on James'. I keep trying it on and it seems to be going no where, but I am also using a sz 1 needles and fingering weight yarn. LOL So needless to say the main body section has been added to.
Post a Comment